NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tanya Bumgardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:46:28 -0400
Here is an interesting and probably complicated question:

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with the Epstein Barr Virus.  Not mono,
just the virus.  A couple of years later, I began to have GI problems too.
At the time I thought they were unrelated until I went to a GI specilist
that all my problems could be linked to a food intolerance.  He said EBV was
a fad diagnosis.  He put me on an elimination diet through which I
discovered that  I am intolerant to dairy.

It seems that I am lactose intolerant.  With this in mind, I tried
DairyCare, an acidophilus replacement.  I had great success.  I have no LI
symptoms unless I really over do it.  So I eat dairy now almost as much as I
used to.

Recently, I became very ill again with serious fatigue, a sinus infection,
and swollen lymph nodes.  I tested positive again for elevated levels of
EBV.  My family doctor told me not to wear myself down or EBV could come
back again if my immunity gets low.

So, here's my question:  Has anyone heard of research linking EBV to food
intolerances?  Could the lactose intolerance just be a result of the EBV
illness?

Thanks for any insight you might be able to offer.  I'm really wondering
about because every doctor I see tells me I have EBV but they don't know
anything about it.

Tanya Bumgardner

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."