NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:31:04 -0400
On 10/20/06, Sandra Sheeley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> OK, Mark's comments got me to thinking that maybe I had gotten a little too excited.  I called Duncan Hines again today and pressed for more detailed info.  It turns out that the cake mixes that I found are indeed the new recipe with no milk.  However, the mixes are still processed on shared lines.  They do not recommend that anyone with food allergies use these mixes.  I expressed my concern to her that the labeling on these mixes is misleading.  She said that eventually these mixes will be processed on separate lines, but couldn't tell me when that would happen.  I asked her how I, as a consumer, could tell that the processes had been changed.  She said that there would probably be some sort of packaging change.  But I really doubt that since they have already changed their packaging.  I don't understand how they can get away with the OU marking either.

You might try contacting the OU.  According to their current FAQ
(http://oukosher.org/index.php/faqs/) they do not currently allow an
OU hechsher for a product made on a dairy line (even if the company
were to clean it an a way acceptable under Jewish law between runs).
This policy changes from time to time -- last time I checked they were
allowing food produced on a cleaned shared line to be labelled as
parve (OU).  However they might be able to give you more information
about whether the OU packaging is incorrect and not approved by them
(in which case they would initiate an alert).

--Robyn