NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 21:35:30 -0600
Hi Kathy,

        I'm new on the mailing list, but I'm not new to LI.  I've been lactose
intolerant for over 15 years.  It's a daily struggle to stay lactose free
and I've found that Vitamite is a product that can be used sometimes as a
milk substitute.  I have used it for years on my cerals and it's okay.  It
will not allow puddings to "set" though and gravies are somewhat sweeter
than they normally would be using regular milk.    I normally buy the
powdered Vitamite as it can be mixed very quickly and this saves time and
money by not having to run to the store for "my milk".

        There is a recipe booklet that I believe you can obtain by calling the 800
number that Kathy mentioned.  I have not tried preparing foods with
Vitamite such as ice creams but the majority of foods that require a small
amount of "milk" taste very good using Vitamite.  You will be the best
judge according to your own personal tastes.  Baked dishes (such as cakes,
etc.) may not rise and be as moist as foods using regular milk, but as they
say "nothing ventured, nothing gained."  At least with Vitamite you will
not have the discomfort of having to eat something with lactose in it and
suffer the results.

Connie H.