NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 10:18:49 -0600
>Regarding::
>Theoretically, if a person is not very protein sensitive they MAY be able to
>handle an occasional small piece of very sharp cheese.
>
>My 2 1/2 year old son tests allergic to milk.  On the scale from 1-4 on the
>back test
>he tests a 4, but he doesn't react with satellite hives like he use to.  Now
>he just gets a large hive on his back.  However, I have given him bread with
>milk or whey in it and he seems to do ok!   I've also let him  have cookies
>with whey in it and  he seems ok.
>
>I'd like an opinion on what the list would think if I let him sample cheese.
> (He's never had it)  Would this be like the whey protein?  What other foods
>with the whey protein could possible be ok with him and are there any other
>milk proteins not as severe with foods I could try.  Help.....Thanks
>
>Jeanine

My son can also now handle some whey or milk in baked goods, etc. whereas
he couldn't as a baby.  He is going on 6.  He also used to get hives
everywhere on his body as a baby when he ate dairy and now just on his
eyes.

If he has one tiny taste of cheese in something he does get hives on his
eyes.  So I'm not sure about the milk vs. cheese issue but this is our
experience.

Rachele Shaw