NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:19:37 -0600
Ghee is clarified butter which means that if done properly the milk solids
have been removed.

I would like to note that I have used ghee at home with my son (now 11)
since he started on solids at 6 months. He has always been very allergic to
dairy (breaking out in hives when he gets it on his skin and if taken
internally forget it--although he can now have things that have a little
milk cooked into them and can now have soy cheese which has casein in it).
He has never had a problem with ghee.

I use clarified butter in everything.  It offers a nice taste (although it
will not taste just like butter in things) and I substitute it one for one
for butter.  Since you don't need to refrigerate it, it is always at room
temperature which is nice for baking.  The products come out about the
same.  Anyone is welcome to email me with questions.  I have years of
experience with this.  We also cook without eggs, so I have a lot of
experience in that area too.  I cook a lot and make most things from scratch.

I have always made my own ghee from a chemists recipe and am very careful
to boil it until 245 degrees until all the water is boiled off and then all
the milk solids are coagulated. I do not "skim off the froth." I FILTER it
through a cloth.

Here is what the chemist found through research of food scientists to be
the chemical composition of ghee.

Triglycerides 98%
Steroids        0.5%
Fatty Acids     0.4%
Water   0.3%
Others  0.8%

"Others includes: phospholipids, fat soluble vitamins A&E, carotenes (only
in cows ghee), volatile & non-volatile ketones and aldehydes, and traces of
charred casein, calcium, phosphorus, etc.

So there is "charred" casein in well filtered ghee.

Rachele Shaw