NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rita Doppenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 11:21:39 -0400
Hi Everyone,

   First of all thank you so much for the replies. Your support really
means alot to me. Now on to the various people that felt it necessary to

trash me to death.....Most of the trashing posts I received by private
email but I got so many that I must reply publically and for that I am
truly sorry. Several people basically said that I was totally wrong and
that I could not justify killing a historic tree for the sake of just 1
person..... And that I should just keep my son inside....Well let me
tell you something. This is just the type of ignorance that I am
fighting against. Maybe I should clarify something. I know and
appreciate my history. I live in a very old part of the Niagara Region
of Ontario (my house alone is a 125 yr old century home that we are
trying to restore to original). Much of the war of 1812 was fought in
this area. When I look out my window I can see about 50 historic trees.
However they are not walnut, and not deadly to my son.

  To the people who ranted and raved that I should keep my son indoors
in order to save the tree....I say to you, please dont be ridiculous.
First of all, the main problem with the walnuts is that once they fall
and break open on the ground and the exposed meat inside begins to rot,
the fumes that come off that put Zack in complete respiratory distress.
In other words he goes into anaphylactic shock!!! The tree is about 20
feet from my deck outside and therefore if I were to take your advise
and keep him inside, I could never open my windows and doors. Secondly,
please explain to me how I can tell my 3 year old son that he can never
go outside in his half acre backyard to play...EVER! You sit and watch
him look out the window at all the other kids in the neighbourhood
having fun and then begin to cry and cry and then tell him he cant. I
paid  $125,000.00 for my house. The house is for the family to grow,
thrive and have fun...Not to act as a prision!! Zack has so many
allergies that he will never be able to live life like other kids his
age but you can be darn sure that I am going to make his life as
uncomplicated and fun as possible! When I found out he was allergic to
cats....we said a tearful goodbye to 2 of our beloved family pets no
question. You know when I think about it, deep down inside I knew that
there would be repricutions of cutting down that old tree (which by the
was was also partially hollow and some huge branches periodically fell
in strong wind and in my opinion could have killed someone someday) but
I didnt care. Yes you heard it right...I didnt care. I dont care about a

tree when it could kill my son. I did what I had to do...I removed the
danger and will deal with the repricutions later. Ever hear of the moms
who get superhuman strength to lift cars when their kids are
trapped...well a historic walnut tree is no match for my motherly
instinct!!!! If there were 10 trees you could be darn sure I would have
gnawed them down with my teeth if necessary to save my sons life! If
that is wrong then so be it.

  If someone broke into my house and was pointing a gun at my son and
was going to kill him I would stop at nothing to stop the intruder. And
if the only recourse was to kill him, I would in order to protect my
son. Can you say that I would be wrong in this way of thinking. Can I
not justify perhaps killing someone who is trying to kill Zack because
Zack is just one person. I am a Christian and I am a mother. I am a very

giving and loving person but if any person tried to hurt my son they
would have to deal with me! And that is another living, breathing human
being. So why would a tree be any different. I know that this is a very
far fetched analagy but I received so many ridiculous analagies in my
email box that I am resorting to this way of thinking to get my point
across!!!!

  I planted new trees in place of the old and to the woman who said it
was ridiculous to say that new trees can replace that precious old tree,

I say....well at least the new trees will still grow to be beautiful
someday....And my son who helped plant those new trees can grow and
blossom just as the new trees will. He need not be afraid of going
outside. He can go and water and nurture those new trees and love them.
Maybe him and his first girlfriend can carve their intials on the tree
as I did many years ago with his father on a tree in my backyard at
home. Perhaps the family dog will find eternal rest under one of those
trees someday. Perhaps someday that new tree will provide shade on a hot

day....And perhaps someday show his own children the wonderful trees
that he helped his mom and dad plant many years ago.  I guess I am
starting my own history!

  So to those of you who still feel the need to trash me...dont bother
anymore. You are not going to change my mind that I did the right
thing!!  I apologize for the length of this post but as an allergic
person myself and the mom of a severely allergic child I feel that these

issues of ignorance need to be dealt with. Thank you for your patience.

Rita