NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 11:02:34 -0600
I was asked by a couple of people for the exact ghee recipe I use so I am
posting it to the group as someone suggested.

Here is the ghee recipe:

Place one pound cube of unsalted butter in a 1 1/2-2 qt uncovered pot
(glass or stainless steel) at medium heat until the temperature of the
contents reaches 245-250 deg F. ( I use a candy thermometer on the that
holds on the side of the pot and just the tip is inside the melted butter).
It will just have a very gentle boil, and will stay around 200 degrees or
so for quite a while until the water is boiled off, 20-45 minutes depending
on size of pot, etc. Then once it gets to about 225 degrees the temperature
goes up faster and DO NOT LET IT GO ABOVE 250 DEGREES OR IT WILL BURN THE
WHOLE BATCH!

When it reaches 245-250 degrees filter it into a glass jar through a cloth.
(I start with a new cotton handerchief and then wash it well every time.)
All of the milk solids will be either in the cloth or stuck to the bottom
of the pot.  I don't even bother to filter the last of the frothy part left
in the bottom of the pot. I put the cloth in one of those plastic one
serving coffee filtering devices over a glass jar.

If you put the ghee in the refrigerator while it is still warm it will
solidify nicely and be the consistency of butter or margarine.  If you
leave it to cool entirely at room temperature it will stay soft and runny.

Once made ghee can be stored a few weeks at room temperature without spoiling.

Rachele Shaw