NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:29:27 -0400
Cocoa butter is *not* a dairy product.

The Trader Joe's chips are typically kosher-pareve, which means that they
are prepared without dairy products and on equipment that either doesn't
touch milk products or is cleaned of dairy products in a way that satisfies
the Jewish laws of kashrute (what qualifies something to be kosher). While
this is not a completely foolproof method of being sure that the food does
not have microscopic dairy contamination, it is probably the only reliable
way that we consumers can tell if something's free of dairy ingredients.

You might find some things that are marked "kosher diary" but have no dairy
ingredients, like some chocolates. This just says that the equipment has
been used to make dairy chocolate and may not have been cleaned enough to
ensure that there is no dairy contamination. For many with LI, this
probably won't be a problem. For those with ultra-severe dairy allergies,
this could be a problem.

For the most part, we have found the store brands of chocolate chips to be
most likely to be kosher-pareve.

Mark