NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:51:55 -0600
I posted this a long time ago.  Here it is again.

This is from The Farm cookbook: (excuse any typos)

Tofu Cream Cheese

1 cup tofu
2 Tbsp. oil
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice or vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine ingredients in a blender (I use a food processor) and blend until
smooth. Scrape the sides often with a rubber spatula, pushing the tofu
towards the center of the blender. Pour into a dish and chill. [Mine comes
out quite thick and I scrape it out, and we like it room temp.]

Tofu Cheesecake

3 cups tofu
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup oil + 1/4 cup margarine, melted and cooled 1-1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup soymilk or water, if necessary

Combine ingredients in blender in order given, adding the liquid at the end
only if needed to blend the tofu. Mixture should be a fairly thick creamy
consistency. Pour into a partially baked crumb crust (10 minutes at 350)
and bake approximately 1/2 hour at 350 or until tofu is set in the middle.
Can be topped with fruit.

Chocolate Tofu Cream Pie (this is my son's favorite but since we don't eat
chocolate I just leave it out)

3 cups tofu
1 cup melted margarine
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cu cocoa
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup liquid, as needed for blending

Blend ingredients using the liquid to help blend the tofu. Try to blend as
thick a cream as possible so it will set nicely when refrigerated. Pour
into a pre-baked pie shell, top with soy whipped cream and refrigerate a
couple of hours. (Again we like it room temp so I refrigerate a little and
then let it stay at room temp to serve.)

Soy "whipped Cream" (I've never tried this)

1/4 cup soymilk
2 1/3 cups oil
1 Tbsp sugar
1 pinch salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

Put all the soymilk and half the oil in a blender. At highest speed, blend
the milk and oil and slowly pour in the remaining 1/4 cup oil. Then blend
in the sugar, salt and vanilla. Chill before serving, if possible.

The Farm cookbook also has tofu whipped cream, Banana tofu cream Pie, Tofu
and Soy salad dressing, how to make soy yogurt and soy cheese; and with
them how to yogurt or tofu "cottage cheese", yogurt sour cream and cream
cheese and yogurt cheesecake (I have newver tried any of these).

Rachele Shaw