NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 15:05:38 -0400
Frankly, I'm too scared to try anything that's not complete avoidance.
Recently, I was at a health food store that features homeopathic remedies.
Well, I just had to look at the dairy allergy option. When I read the
ingredients, I shuddered. To me, it looked like an instant trip to the
hospital.

Do any of you have experience with homeopathic dairy cures? Please
share--especially if they're positive ones. I am resigned to a life of 100%
Lactose reduced Lactaid (in small doses) and DairyCare, which has been my
only consistent defense against incidental dairy experiences I can't avoid
entirely.

As I get older, I've noticed that my reactions to dairy mirror those of
food poisoning--especially the uncontrollable chills. For example, I just
attended a wedding where the bride specifically ordered dairy free meals
for me and her sister [we were both lactose intolerant bridesmaids, so it
was a pretty big deal]. Now she just so happens to be the head of food
service for Midwest Express airlines, so she knows about dairy! Anyway, the
soup was too good to be true...it was some kind of potato bisque. The chef
told her it was thickened with a roux--flour and water--but I was skeptical
and sent the server to the kitchen for confirmation. Sure enough, it had
cream in it. Fortunately, the three spoons I had held back their fury. I
didn't get sick until much later that night, and when I did, it was only
for about 45 minutes.

Needless to say, I just don't mess around with the stuff. I've heard mixed
things about goat's milk, raw milk, and sheep's milk, but to me, anything
that hints of dairy (with animal milk solids--including butter) is a big
stop sign. Frankly, I'm too chicken to try this stuff.

Heidi

P.S.--I just wrote a nasty letter to Northwest Airlines. I wonder if
they'll respond!