NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:13:41 -0500
From:    Chris Kranzler [log in to unmask]
Off Celiac List

Wheat free Fruit Cake - perfect for Christmas!

This is a deliciously different fruit cake, packed with glace fruit, dried
fruit and nuts and is delicious and easy to bake wheat/gluten free!  I have
had loads of comments about this cake from my American friends who don't
believe any fruit cake can be delicious - but they have all agreed this one
IS DELICIOUS!!!  I use it as an English Christmas cake and decorate it with
marzipan and icing, but my family love it also as is and eat it sliced any
time of the year.

8 oz glace cherries

2 oz chopped candied peel

3/8 cup rum or orange juice

1 teaspoon butter

freshly grated rind of one lemon

1/2 cup seedless raisins

7 oz stoned dates, chopped

5 oz walnuts, chopped

5 oz almonds, chopped

1 cup gluten free flour - any combination will work, I use Bette Hagman's
bean flour mix or her feather light rice flour mix.

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 eggs, beaten well

Put the cherries and candied peel in a bowl and cover them with rum or
orange juice.  Leave to soak for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Drain
the cherries and candied peel, and reserve the rum or orange juice. Preheat
the oven to cool 300F (Gas Mark2 or 150C). Grease a deep, loose-bottomed 8in
cake tin (a large loaf tin works too), line it with greaseproof or waxed
paper and grease that as well.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the cherries, candied peel, lemon rind,
raisins, dates, walnuts and almonds with a wooden spoon.  Sift the flour,
sugar, baking powder and salt into the bowl and mix well so that all the
fruit is covered with flour mixture. Lightly stir in the beaten eggs and be
careful to not over mix.  Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan.

Place the cake in the oven and bake for 1 3/4 to 2 hours, or until a skewer
inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.  If the top of the
cake begins to brown too quickly, loosely cover it with aluminum foil.

Remove the cake from the oven and pour on the reserved rum/orange juice
while the cake is still very hot.  The rum will make the cake sizzle and
glaze the top nicely, the orange juice does not sizzle quite so much but
still gives a nice glaze and seal.  Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 30
minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.  When cold
remove the greaseproof or waxed paper.  Voila - a great fruit cake which can
either be eaten as is, or to make a English Christmas cake iced with
marzipan and royal icing!!

Chris in California, originally from England.