NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:00:22 -0400
Hi --

I get the list in digest form, so I'm merging replies to various topics from
the day's messages ...

If you're allergic to milk protein, the lactose-free milk won't help you at
all.

There are many simple foods that are milk-free, and simple recipe-substitutions
you can use to make your own.  Once you get used to it, eating milk-free
becomes easy and satisfying: you just have to take the time to get used to it.
Desserts my family likes include Trader Joe brownies (made with oil instead
of melted butter), sorbet with various sauces, toffuti Cutie bars, and Oreos.
My web site lists some menus to get you started.

Kosher meat and parve foods are usually okay for people with milk-allergy,
but if you're at risk even by cross-contamination, you need to experiment
carefully. My web site explains the hows and whys of kosher food labelling
with respect to milk allergy.

Restaurant and hospital foods can be dangerous for people with milk allergy
(or any allergy, for that matter).  And there are other pitfalls that may
be of concern.  Again, my web site lists a bunch of them. (Cosmetics, for
example, and soaps may contain milk.)

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles
  Eating without Casein Webmaster
  http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html
  DISCLAIMER:  I am not a medical practicioner. Nothing in this message should
  be construed as medical advice.