NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. Steiner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 12:56:26 -0800
> I just had problems with a milk-free liquid calcium supplement.  It was
> also yeast-free, gluten-free, dye-free, etc. (sounded real good!)
However,
> it contained sorbitol and I seem to remember sorbitol being discussed on
> this list.  Can anyone refresh my memory?
>
> Judith Murrray Griffiths

Hi Judy,
Sorbitol is a sweetener, usually used to sweeten dietetic candy and other
goodies for diabetics.  Also many of the sugar free chewing gums contain
sorbitol.  It is also found in some cereals and breakfast bars.  It is used
in many food products as a substitute for glycerine.
BAWARE:  It is also sold in pharmacies in small bottles as a laxative, and
most of the above mentioned candies carry the warning that it "may cause
diarrhea."
I guess we can never be too far from a magnifying glass,  in order to read
all those small print ingredients!
BTW, Glicerine also causes diarrhea.
Take care and stay well,
Chao,