NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 13:26:20 +0000
Date:          Mon, 3 Mar 1997 16:15:20 EST

Pamela wrote:
>Since I've eliminated all animal fats my fish consumption has tripled.
Maggie wrote:
  Fat is fat.  If we eat enough fat we get fat.
Pamela wrote:
Several clinical trials have proven the efficacy of Omega 3 Fatty acids
obtained from sources such as Salmon, Herring etc. in the treatment of
Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Hi , Pamela,
If you are interested in using Omega 3 and 6 in the fight against
Rheumatoid Arthritis. Here is some information that you might find
interesting
Flax seed oil is the highest source of Omega-3 fatty acids,
a good  source of the Omega-6 fatty acids, and has no cholesterol.
Came across this.
on the very-low-fat FAQ page.
http://www.fatfree.com/FAQ/fatfree-faq
Grams of Omega -3 - fatty acid in 100 grams of oil.
cod-liver-oil                    19.2
herring-oil                      14.00
menhaden oil                  21.7
concentrated fish oil       29.4
salmon-oil                       20.1
Flax-seed-oil                    53.3

Clinical trials have proven the efficacy of Omega 3 and Omega-6 fatty
acids in the reduction of inflammation.
Here is some information caught in the net.
The information is from Graham McDonald at Victoria Hospital in
London Ontario.
http://www.vichosp.london.on.ca:8080/medaff/nephrology/nephdiv.htm
Fish oil, and its principal constituents, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) possess both anti-inflammatory and
anti-atherosclerotic properties. These omega-3 fatty acids inhibit
inflammatory prostaglandin and leukotriene production by displacing
the arachidonic acid (AA) substrate from cell membranes and competing
with the AA for cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase enzymes. This
competition results in a shift towards the production of
non-inflammatory series-3 prostaglandins and series-5 leukotrienes.
Fish oil supplementation has been found to induce clinical responses
in inflammatory diseases including rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis and
ulcerative colitis and inflammatory kidney disease .
Fish oil supplementation has also been implicated
in the lowering of lipid levels and a reduction in atherosclerotic
vascular events in man. This dual action of fish oil provided a
rationale for investigating its effects in lupus nephritis, a disease
which exhibits a bimodal morbidity and mortality pattern related to
inflammatory and atherosclerotic events.
So if you love your fish.
I think it would be safe to say Happy Eating.
Helen, here in cold, wet, windy, Ireland.