NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:04:31 -0500
From: "Brenda-Lee Olson" [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Scrambled egg substitute?

We use soft tofu to replace scrambled egg for our youngest who is really
sensitive to eggs, but frequent use of tofu makes him sensitive to that too.

1 small packet soft tofu
1/4 cup red pepper finally chopped
1/8 cup red or white onion, diced
sprinkle of paprika
sprinkle of oregano
sprinkle of dill
salt and pepper to taste

Put into a nonstick pan and cook, stirring frequently.  You may have to
drain off the extra liquid which comes out of the tofu as it cooks so as to
have a plant of tofu and water (grin).  My children don't like their peppers
cooked too much, so we don't sauté the onion and pepper first, but if you
prefer to have softer vegetables, you can do that first, and then put the
tofu and spices over them.  Harder curd tofu will also work, but it will not
have the same appearance.  Bear in mind that tofu has very little real
"taste" so the seasonings are what will make or break the dish.