NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Zdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:32:35 -0600
Here's my brownie recipe.  It's adapted from the "Chocolate Mousse"
cookbook by Betty Malisow Potter.

Royal Brownies

4 - 1 ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cup milk free margarine
1 cup GF flour mix
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (if using GF flour)
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Melt chocolate and margarine over low heat;
cool.  Beat eggs until fluffy.  Add the xanthan gum and gradually beat in
sugar until thick.  Blend in chocolate mixture and vanilla.  Fold in flour
and salt until well blended.

Spread in greased 9 x 13 cake pan.  Bake for 30 minutes or until firm.
Cool and spread Buttercream Filling over top and frost with Chocolate
Frosting.

Buttercream Filling

1/2 cup milk free margarine, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons soy milk or desired milk substitute
1 teaspoon vanilla (I use butter flavoring, which I am not sure is totally
milk free)

Cream margarine and sugar together.  (I use my mixer for this.)  Add milk
substitute and flavoring, beating until creamy.  Spread over cooled
brownies.

Chocolate Frosting

8 - 1 ounce squares semi-sweet chocolate (or you can use 8 ounces of
chocolate chips, but you may haved to add some vegetable shortening to get
them to a spreadable consistency)

Melt chocolate over low heat or in top of double boiler.  Cool and spread
over Buttercream Filling.  (I pour the chocolate in three ribbons down the
pan.  One in the center and another on each side, then I gently spread the
chocolate to cover.)  Let stand until firm.

My former coworkers dubbed these brownies "to die for!"

Kathy