NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:25:10 -0500
>Please beware that many of us who study food allergy and practice with
>it do not believe that allergy is outgrown.

I'd have to second that, at least on an anecdotal basis. My chronic
bronchitis and sinusitis and digestive difficulties gave way to acne, which
transformed into rheumatoid arthritis (triggered by dairy allergy) which
appeared in my late teens and remains today, now accompanied by
anaphylaxis. The arthritis and anaphylaxis were probably spurred on by a
short stint of teenage-years vegetarianism, in which I shifted most on my
protein needs to dairy products.

If the symptoms are not there, there's still a good basis for at least
nominal avoidance.

I suppose that for some infants with "immature digestive tracts" it is
possible to "outgrow" some dairy problems, especially if the intestines
mature and no longer let dairy proteins into the bloodstream. But for those
of us atopic individuals, outgrowing is out of the question.

Mark