NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katie Addison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 15:32:14 -0800
Hi Lisa,

I asked my kindergartener who is severely allergic to milk to help me
remember the best snacks that I fix her.  In no particular order they are
    graham crackers (we use our grocery store brand which is OU)
    bugs on a log / ants on a stick (celery with peanut butter and raisons)
    poptarts (the safe ones say "This is a milk free product" under the
ingredients)
    pretzels
    apples and peanut butter (spread the pb, in a chunk it is a bad choking
hazard)
    bananas
    saltine crackers (check ingredients)
    cereal especially cheerios
    bread or toast
    fruit leather or fruit roll-ups (a less healthy choice...)
    wheat thins
    triscuits and triscuit thin crisps (check ingredients) or store brand

A craft and a snack that she loved as a toddler was threading the store
brand equivalent to fruit loops on yarn to make a necklace and then eating
the cereal off the necklace.  Fruit loops have dairy.  Most "look-alikes"
seem not to.

On a related note, we kept a container with safe snacks in the classroom.
We had a picture of Rebecca on the lid, her name, and the following
statement:
"Rebecca is severely allergic to all milk products: milk, cheese, yogurt,
butter and most margarines. Most breads, crackers, cookies, rolls, muffins,
and cakes are made with milk.
Please only feed Rebecca snacks that we have approved.  If there is the
slightest doubt, *please* use snacks from this box.  *Thank you!*"

We also kept cupcakes for Rebecca in the freezer to use for birthday
celebrations..  Bagging each cupcake indivually and then putting all of them
into a big bag labeled with her name worked out as the best way to package
them.  If the cupcakes ran out and I was busy, Rebecca was happy to have
poptarts as a substitute for cupcakes.  I always used special cupcake liners
and put lots of sprinkles on top before the icing set.  I figured that I was
doing well if some child wanted what Rebecca was having instead of the
regular birthday treat.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Katie Addison