NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 00:07:06 -0600
psam ordener wrote:

> One of the problems I found with letting my son choose what to eat as
> a toddler was that if we had it at home, he thought it was safe -
> even though I made it milk-free using soy milk or something and the
> stuff was actually made with milk!  I had a hard time teaching him
> that if Mommy made it, it was safe, but that didn't mean it was safe
> if Mommy didn't make it.

psam,

Ditto here, only we are still having the problems! :-D

One thing I have started doing is being sure I make it with my boys, or
at least with them in the room.  I have my 8 yo read the ingredients and
I say something like "Well, what do you think we need to substitute
here?".  I just wish I would have the guts to dye everything special
that comes out of my kitchen bright purple or something so it LOOKED
different.

Also, since many of us are in gift mode right now, I have started a
recipe file just for my boys.  I plan on giving my kids special dairy
free recipe books of all their favorite foods from over the years.
Everything from main meals, baked goods and desserts are in them.  I
can't be sure they will use them much in college, but (later on) their
wives will!

--
Kathy Wentz              I've never had a humble opinion in my life.
[log in to unmask]      If you're going to have one, why bother to