NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tracy Burk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:29:21 EST
Hi everyone! I haven't contributed before but have gotten a lot of very useful
information from all of you --- Thanks! I have a comment about Subway. My
father owns a Subway franchise and I worked there for most of my teenage years
and so I think I have some knowledge on the chain (and am hopefully not too
biased :) ). I am fairly sure that now, none of the stores actually are doing
any of the cheese or meat slicing in-house. That has not always been true, but
as the chain has grown and developed they have learned that it is a huge time
save to get the meat and cheese presliced. So, if you really enjoy eating
there, ask them if that is the case. You can probably get the employees to put
new gloves on for your sandwiches, and use new packages of the meat so that
there is no chance of getting any contamination from cheese. They can make the
sandwich on one of the papers used to wrap the sandwiches as well, so that
your food doesn't touch the regular prep area, and they can use a clean knife.
Veggies in general should not have been touched by the cheese, but you can
make sure that they use fresh bags of lettuce, new tomatoes, etc. etc. etc.,
depending on the severity of your child's allergy. It is possible to keep them
from cross contaminating if you really want to eat there, but it will take
some effort...

Tracy