NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jen Snead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 10:35:21 -0400
Thanks so much for the responses about milk allergies in nursing little
ones. Ds at one week of age had a bullseye rash around his anus--classic
allergy symptom. I went off dairy immediately. Our dr said to try for a
month and then reintroduce dairy just to see how he would react. I ate
Thanksgiving dinner as normal--mashed potatoes, bread, pumpkin pie, the
works. Ds had eczema on his cheeks which disappeared after limiting my diet
again. I started using soy milk on my cereal every other day. I have
digestive problems and have to have fiber--cereal seems to be the most
effective way for me to get the needed amount in my diet. Ds seemed to be
symptom free until I had been on soy milk for about 3 months. Then he
started getting little red spots--did not seem to be itchy. He's always been
a little congested or snurgly from about 6 weeks--but they do go through
that starting around that age. It let up and then returned when teething
kicked in. He had bronchitis in March, teething on top of that, and then the
pollen count has been off the chart. (we suspect a pollen sensitivity too,
but the count has been so high, that even those who don't have allergies
have been bothered. Other than that he has been a VERY healthy and happy
baby. My others had ear infections every month--in hindsight I suspect milk
allergy with them, too, especially my first. But 14 years ago I didn't have
the internet and all the wonderful information and support available through
it.) I went off soy and they went away. About a month ago they returned,
however from what I have been reading I could have been eating hidden milk
and soy--salami, trace amounts of soy in cereals, someone told me I could
still eat butter--wrong, etc. Yesterday his face had the eczema again--I
suspect the Duncan Hines spice cake I made with applesauce that I had eaten
the day before--the package says trace soy--also, I think it mentions soy
protein. So that's why I suspect soy. Egg I suspect because I cut it out at
the same time I cut out the milk and have tried to be really good about
avoiding it. We have had flare-ups, as I mentioned, but they could be due to
the soy and milk I had ignorantly been ingesting. I have not challenged the
egg--I've been afraid to, to tell you the truth.

So, here we are at almost 7 months old unsure of what is bothering him,
except for the dairy--pretty confident about that one, soy pretty much, too.
What happened with you all when you introduced solids? I'm prepared to
continue nursing for the next 18 months--already warned by parents :o) I'm
just scared that we'll introduce solids, and he won't be able to eat
anything! I read a site which mentioned an Alpha Nutrition Program--out of
Canada, I believe. Anyone know anything about it? Opinions?

Any advice, links, support would be greatly appreciated!!! BTW--I am so glad
I found this group!

Jen

---