NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 09:40:56 -0700
:     Well actually there are a few breast-milk banks who have milk available for hospitalized
: babies in need. I tried to donate breast milk to one of these places, because I think
: it would be a wonderful cause to support in this way...since I'm dairy free and follow
: a vegan diet, I just knew that some dear precious little baby would benefit from
: this. Guess what? Can't. There is such a fear (aids and other human body fluid transmitable)
: of lawsuit/liability cases in the US that no one will take donated breast milk. In
: fact, I still have some in my freezer.....got a recipe for that vichyssoise? :)

I usually just lurk on this list, but felt I should add one comment to this post.  A good
friend of mine did donate alot of breastmilk to the milk bank in Denver.  I know there are
fewer and fewer hospitals still doing this, and they would prefer the mother contact them
*before* pumping, so they can provide instructions for safe handling of the milk.  As I
recall, my friend donated about 2 gallons over several months.

Also, for Robert, who wanted to know how people came to be on this list:  My daughter is 3
and severely allergic to several foods, including dairy.  So, I'm here for recipes, product
info, hidden ingredients, and handling social situations, school, family, etc.  I don't
think milk is evil, or not "what nature intended", and am not particularly interested in
arguments about that on this list.

Laurie