NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Theresa Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 09:31:05 -0500
I am in no way affiliated with Cici's Pizza.

My son is milk anaphyactic, but really *wants* to eat what mom and
dad are eating.  We went to Cicis one day during an off-peak time
and got a very friendly, helpful manager. He started bringing out
the cans of sauce so we could read the ingredients.

The pasta sauce has Romano cheese in it, so beware.

But the pizza sauce is dairy-free.  We got him to make our son a
small no-cheese pizza.  Our son LOVES it.  Every time we go in now,
the workers and manager point and yell, 'No cheese!'.  We were
very explicit in the severity of his reaction so that each time
they make him a small, separate pizza - they don't try to leave
the cheese off of half or anything like that.

One note.  I'm sure some contamination occurs from using the same
pizza cutters on multiple pizzas. This is pretty trace amounts, and it
has not affected him at all (we've done this half a dozen times). But
if you are sensitive to one part in a million, I would avoid this
option.  Kyle reacts to butter sprinkles that you cannot taste, and
1 Tbl milk gets him in BIG trouble, so if he doesn't have a reaction
you can be fairly sure that the amounts are truly trace.

Also, we've offered on more than one occasion to pay for the pizza.
Our son is under 2 and eats for free, but when they're going to the
extra trouble to make him a special pizza that no one else will eat,
we would be glad to pay for it. They refuse every time.  Nice guys!

Theresa