NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katie Addison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 15:12:46 -0700
Lila Wilson wrote:

> Hi all, got a question.  My son is very small and 2.  He is majorally
> allergic to milk.  Me and the dr. are trying to think of high fat foods he
> can eat that have no dairy.  Do you guys have any ideas??  I heard  an
> avocodo is high in fat.  Is this true?
>
> Thanks,
> Lila

Peanut butter is a high fat, protein food.  My children LOVE it.  On the
other hand, peanuts are another common allergin and many pediatricians
recommend waiting until your child is older to introduce peanuts.

Another choice with caveat - eggs.  Another food that kids often like
but that I understand is another common allergin.  We either scramble
them (with or without soy cheese added) or make "eggs in a hole" - (Cut
a hole out of a piece of bread, put bread on skillet with cut-out part
to one side.  Break an egg into the hole.  When bread is brown on bottom
and egg starting to solidify, turn over.  Cook until bread is brown on
other side and egg should be done.  I serve with the cut-out "hiding"
the egg underneath.  My children like it better if I break the yolk so
that it is not runny.)

Avocados are high in fat ("good fat") and I love them.  I have not
convinced my children that they are edible :-).

I received private Email that the recommendation for Blue Bonnet
margarine is NOT a good one.  Apparently, it includes milk products that
show up on the label only as "artifical flavoring".  Sigh.  It just goes
to show how difficult it is to find dairy-free products.

We have tried the Spectrum margarine but did not like the way it spreads
or the way it melts (it just doesn't).  Does anyone know of a commonly
available margarine which is OK?  I had heard that there was one where
the stick version was OK but not the tub, but I can not find the
reference.

Katie