NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 19:50:49 -0400
I have been a proponent of cutting out dairy to control airborne allergies.
Going dairy-free pretty much solved my hay fever. And I have gotten two
others to try it for theirs, and they have reported results. But this is
rather alternative. So it was nice to see a NY Times editorial quoting a
doctor recommending cutting back on dairy as a way to control pollen allergies.

With Every Breeze, a Wheeze
Published: May 9, 2005

Every spring, flowers bloom, trees burst with blossoms, breezes stir. But
there's more than love in the air. There's pollen. The microscopic spores
make one wonder why plants and trees don't carry warning labels: may cause
weeping eyes, runny nose and general grumpiness.

The miserable have company. Hay fever is the fifth-leading chronic
condition among Americans, causing millions of lost workdays.

Where to get help? Beyond a visit to an allergist, there's the option of
staying indoors. Showering after spending time outdoors is a good idea, too.

Over-the-counter and prescription medications can treat symptoms, but they
frequently cause side effects like drowsiness. Acupuncture is becoming
popular, as are herbal supplements. Dr. Martha Libster, an associate
professor of nursing at Purdue University, has a simple solution: for
nettlesome spring allergies, she says, ingest nettles. The herb has been
effective in fighting allergies, and can be cooked and eaten like spinach -
think nettle quiche or dumplings - or consumed in capsules or a tea. Dr.
Libster says that taking extra vitamin C and cutting back on dairy products
also helps.

Finally, there is the Mr. T. solution. The tough-guy actor, whose real name
is Laurence Tureaud, was so inflamed by allergies, he once took a chain saw
to more than 100 trees surrounding his home. The approach was extreme,
especially considering that he chose to live in a town named Lake Forest.

From: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/09/opinion/09mon3.html