NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:36:01 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: jpreston <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 7:36 AM
Subject: Re: Intolerance vs. allergy

>This is purely anecdotal on my part, but I am convinced that my daughter's
>allergies contribute to her inability to concentrate.  She no longer has
>any milk at all (unless she gets it accidentally), but I believe there may
>be something else that she is allergic to that is contributing to her
>sometimes acting like she is "in a fog."  I also have a close friend who is
>an adult who said that when he had milk (before he knew he was allergic)
>that he could not concentrate. Sounded almost like had similar symptoms to
>diabetes--with wide mood swings, etc.
>
>Good luck.

The following is a letter I sent to Kris:

Dear Kris,

After reading your post, I wonder if your daughter may have celiac disease.
[log in to unmask] also has a support group for celiac.  This is a
disease which causes a person to be unable to consume gluten which is found
in barley, rye, oats and wheat (BROW).  I probably have celiac disease
although since I am already gluten-free I cannot be tested.  I'd have to go
back on a gluten diet and I can't bear the thought!  I have been tested
through blood tests and found out that I am allergic to eggs, wheat, yeast,
soy and dairy.  I only had tests for six things and had high reactions to
five of them - corn was the other, so there may be other things, too.

I am on the e-mail support list for celiac and for no-milk and that's why I
saw your post.  Actually, many people with celiac disease have lost their
allergies or intolerances to milk, soy, eggs, on and on, after they have
been gluten free for six months up to 2 or 3 years.  There's no way I could
remain gluten free without the help of this support.  Gluten is hidden in so
many food items that it's difficult to know, even reading labels, although
that is the best way.

The sad part of having celiac disease is that it is very underdiagnosed,
according to several statistics, and, therefore, it is difficult to find a
gastroenterologist who know very much if anything about it.  Also, the
testing HAS to be done by labs that know what to look for.  You have celiac
disease for life.  Many people don't find out they have this and end up
very, very sick.

Just an idea for you to investigate.  Good luck to both of you.

Sincerely,

Ginger