NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
J Balbirnie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 19:48:25 -0500
We use the Tofutti Mozzarella and American slices.  I find that even I will eat a grilled cheese made with this cheese.  The trick is to use your soy margarine on each side of the bread and grill in the frying pan.  After you flipped the sandwich to brown the opposite side and it is almost done simply cover the pan with a lid and the steam causes the Tofutti to melt.  We tried VeganRella and thought it had a horrible aftertaste.  If its still made (we haven't been able to find it since the 1X Whole Foods had it is VeggieKaas made by the people who make the SoyaKass except the VeggieKass has no casien.  Soyco food makes a great vegan parmesan alternative I use it to make meatballs it has a stronger taste than "dairy" paremsean so if you use it sparingly it tastes surprisingly a lot like real parm too much has a aftertaste. Never saw the Follow your heart brand where can you get that?

Beth