NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amanda Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 13:35:45 -0600
Kelly Wright <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> I was wondering if anyone knows anything about lecithin.
> I have been avoiding giving it to my son which has milk and
> egg allergies.

Lecithin (aka phosphatidalcholine) is found in all living organisms.  Years
ago, it was derived from egg yolks.  However, it is currently less
expensive to obtain lecithin from soy beans than from eggs.  Consequently,
most of the lecithin that is found in food products is derived from soy.
Therefore, I wouldn't expect a person with milk and egg allergies to react
to lecithin.  HOWEVER, if in doubt, I would call the company and ask about
the source of lecithin in their products.

Amanda Ackerman