NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 18:12:12 -0600
>Date:    Sat, 15 Mar 1997 19:35:51 -0500
>From:    Clif Flynt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Lactaid?
>
>...  For about 3 years I had almost continuous stomach pains that
>occaissionally got severe enough to cause me to pass out.  Visits to the
>doctors got diagnoses like "Stress" and "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" and >a
perscription for bentyl (a smooth muscle relaxant).
>  After I fell over at work and got a quick ride to hospital, I got a
>pretty complete upper & lower GI, and some pretty serious indignities
>done upon myself.  The verdict was that nothing was wrong, but I was
>obviously in pain.  The doctor seemed to be of the opinion that I was
>gay, and didn't want to admit to behaviors that were injuring my colon.

Clif--what a shame that you had to suffer in so much pain for so many years
before finally getting the correct diagnosis!  I'm wondering how common this
problem is for everyone else?  I know from my own experience my doctors did
all kinds of "exams,"  found "nothing wrong" and then, I had assumed since I
am female, tried to convince me that my problems were all in my head.  Seems
that being female isn't the ONLY reason doctors assume a "head-case" theory
or even what you went through, Clif!

I know since becoming pregnant and beginning pre-natal care under a new
office & new staff, I'm finding myself going through the same battery of
questions over and over:  "When you say you are "allergic" to _______ (for
me it is a LONG list starting with Casein, several meds, and on down the
line) what do you mean?  What type of reaction to you have?"  It isn't until
they discover the severity of symptoms that they seem to give any credit the
previous diagnosis--but they still seem skeptical. I'm wondering if they
will believe me enough to feed me safe foods while I am in the hospital!
Has any one else had experiences with this kind of trouble for themselves or
their dairy intolerant/allergic family members?  Any hints, suggestions,
experiences on how (or even ways that don't work to be avoided) to get the
health care industry taking our needs serious?  I for one, am glad for this
list...at least someone out there is listening and knows the truth! <G>

Smiles,
Dawn