NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
JAFLUMBER2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:51:27 EDT
> Also, what do you tell and 3 year old when they have a pizza party at school
> and no one warned you and you have nothing to substitue?  Since it's not and
> annyphaltic reaction she can eat the pizza.  But we have to pay with the
> nightmares and behavior problems till it wears off...

I have the same problem.  My just turned 5 year old is in preschool and it
seems that their whole day revolves around food.  They have snack everyday,
but it isn't normal snack foods (or what was normal in the two other
preschools my children have attended).  They have spaghetti, cheese nachos,
tacos, pancakes, and things like that.  These are things that can be made milk
free, but since it is parents that bring in the snack, I never know what it
will be until we get to school.  I take snacks for her everyday and have told
her teachers I don't want them to give her anything that I haven't sent for
her.  It took half of the year just to convince them that milk affected her.
Her doctor had to send two notes, when that didn't work he talked to her
personally.  After he convinced her that she couldn't have dairy, she said she
read the ingredients before she gave the snack to Katie.  Well, within a
couple of hours she was miserable.

She has given her bologna, spaghetti sauce with cheese, chocolate chip
cookies, etc.  I then printed a list of dairy ingredient names.  She was
shocked by all the names.  She was reading the ingredient only for the word
milk.  Now, I don't expect her or anyone else to know this stuff -- which is
why I always send in her own snack.  Now with only 1 month of school left I
finally persuaded her to give the snacks I send, and she has become very
conscientious of her needs.

We have to start over next year with a different teacher.  I am getting my
information together now.  I am hoping that if I can show her all the
different names for dairy, and explain the multitude of products that contain
it, things will go a little smoother.  I am not expecting miracles. (just
hoping for one)

Kellie