NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katherine Jaeger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2006 21:52:24 -0500
I find the tomato sauce on pizza is often harsh without cheese, I suppose to make the flavor come through when there's cheese on the pizza.  If lactose is your son's problem, most varieties of Kraft cheese "contain 0 grams of lactose per serving".  I sometimes take some with me when we go to a pizza place, order the pizza without cheese and then add some on top when the pizza gets to the table.  Even better is take out, so I can sprinkle the cheese-less pizza with Kraft cheese and then run it under the broiler to melt it.  This would work with soy or rice cheese as well.
As to dairy in the crust, I've had to find out which kinds I can tolerate mostly by trial and error.  Most pizza place employees are teens who don't know the different kinds of dairy.  Our local Papa Murphy's pizza is owned by a friend and he's let me read labels:  their ingredients are dairy free except for the obvious: cheese, alfredo sauce, etc.
One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes franchises differ in ingredients used, one part of the country might use dough with no dairy, where another part of the country uses a different supplier.
The lactose intolerant life is a big puzzle.  I'm trying Lactogen right now to see if I can turn things around and start tolerating.  Any comments on the stuff from anyone?
Katherine.