NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 11:42:19 -0500
>We have tried the Spectrum margarine but did not like the way it spreads
>or the way it melts (it just doesn't).  Does anyone know of a commonly
>available margarine which is OK?

        All this talk of butter and margarine lately makes me wonder if I am
the only person on the list who simply gave it up? Could I really be the
only one? I find that hard to believe.
        In the first year or two I knew I was dairy protein allergic, I
searched for a good substitute.  I learned, for example, that the reason
foods caramelize when cooked in butter is that butter has a natural
sweetness to it...and if you "fry" onions in water or other juices that you
need to add a big of sweetener to get them to caramelize when you aren't
cooking with butter. Most baked goods are just as yummy made with oils in
place of the butter/margarine originally called for...and even more healthy,
I've found that most recipes the butter can be replaced with pureed fruit
(apple sauce works REALLY well and the milk in the recipes can be replaced
with the same fruit's juice--like apple juice).  It only took a little bit
of experimenting to learn how to cook/bake with out the old familiars! :)
        As far as spreads...I simply use other toppings for bread, muffins,
rolls. Butter/margarine is really more of a habit than a great taste.  Fruit
and nut butters (home made apple butter is one of my favorites) all make
wonderful toppings..as well as jams and jellies.  And there are plenty of
other toppings I've learned to love too like humus, guacamole, salsa,
chutney, bean dip spreads and so forth.  There are SO many yummy things to
use in cooking and as toppings that I really don't miss butter/margarine at
all and would encourage those of you who are having trouble finding dairy
free "margarine" to give some of these things a try--doesn't take long to
develop a new-yummy (and maybe even more nutritious) habit! :-)