NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cathy O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:36:03 -0800
D Jacobs wrote:
>Regarding breastmilk, it naturally becomes lower
>in fat with toddlers... as they begin to replace
>breastfeeding with solid foods, that is the
>natural progression of weaning.

Actually, according to the USDA, mature human milk contains 4.380 grams
of fat per
100 grams, vs. 1.019 grams in the same quantity of whole milk.

 D Jacobs wrote:
> The general standard of nutrition for toddlers is to switch them from
infant
> formula to whole cow's milk at 1 year of age.  So given that, what I
was referring
> to is how to meet the needs of a dairy allergic child who can't have
> cow's milk.  If supplementation with infant formula is necessary
because a
> average toddler's diet (with vitamin supplements) does not contain
adequate
> nutrients, then it follows that a child drinking cows milk also is not
receiving
> adequate nutrition since it is vastly different in nutrients than
infant formula.
> So not to debate the accuracy, but it seems you are saying all
children
> should remain on infant formula until age 2 instead of 1 that is now
standard
> (here in US at least).   Infant formula is also much lower in protein
than cows
> milk and even toddler formulas.

>And cows milk itself is hardly an ideal
>cornerstone of a child's diet... it has NO iron at
>all

Actually, if you take a look below at the nutritional composition of
cow's milk, you will see that not only does cow's milk have iron, but it
also has a lot of other properties that are condusive to good health and
development.  So what if it is
vastly different from formula?  Can you look at its' composition and
honestly say as you did that "it follows that a child drinking cow's
milk also is not receiving  adequate nutrition."  I don't think so.  And
that's not what I had said either.  Nor did I say, or imply, that all
children should remain on formula until the age of two,only children who
do not drink cow's milk or a nutritionally adequate substitute.   FYI,
it was the researchers at a local allergy nutrition centre that had said
this, not myself, although I do agree with them.

Note:  the chart I pasted in below has lost the formatting, but is still
readable for
this purpose

Milk, fluid, 3.25% milkfat

NDB No:     01077
Nutrient     Units  1 fl oz   =30.500 g
ProximatesWater  g 26.837Energy    kcal1 8.740, Energy kj 78.385,
Protein g 1.003, Total lipid (fat)g 1.019 Carbohydrate, by difference  g
1.421, Fiber, total dietary g 0.000, Ash g 0.220, Minerals, Calcium, C
mg 36.417, Iron Fe mg 0.015, Magnesium Mg  mg 4.099, Phosphorus P mg
28.487, Potassium K mg 46.208, Sodium Na mg 14.945 Zinc Zn mg 0.116,
Copper Cu mg 0.003, Manganese Mn mg 0.001, Selenium Se mcg 0.610,
Vitamins,Vitamin C ascorbic acid mg 0.287, Thiamin mg 0.012, Riboflavin
mg 0.049, Niacin mg 0.026, Pantothenic acid mg 0.096, Vitamin B-6 mg
0.013, Folate mcg 1.525, Vitamin B-12 mcg 0.109, Vitamin A IU
38.430,Vitamin A RE  mcg_RE 9.455 Vitamin E mg_ATE 0.031,
Lipids
Fatty acids, saturated g 0.634
4:00   g 0.033
6:00   g 0.020
8:00   g 0.011
10:00   g 0.026
12:00   g 0.029
14:00   g 0.102
16:00   g 0.268
18:00   g 0.124
Fatty acids, monounsaturated    g 0.294
16:01   g  0.023
18:01   g 0.256
20:01   g  0.000
22:01   g 0.000
Fatty acids, polyunsaturated    g 0.038
18:02   g 0.023
18:03   g 0.015
18:04   g 0.000
20:04   g 0.000
20:05   g 0.000
22:05   g 0.000
22:06    g  0.000
Cholesterol mg 4.148, Phytosterols mg 0.000, Amino acidsTryptophan g
0.014, Threonine g 0.045, Isoleucine g 0.061,
Leucine g 0.098, Lysine g 0.080, Methionine g 0.025, Cystine g 0.009,
Phenylalanine g 0.048, Tyrosine g 0.048, Valine g 0.067, Arginine g
0.036, Histidine g 0.027, Alanine g 0.034, Aspartic acid g 0.076,
Glutamic acid g 0.210,Glycine g 0.021, Proline g 0.097, Serine g 0.055
Source:  USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 12
(March 1998)

Cathy