NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
J Balbirnie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 20:57:22 -0500
My twin boys (they were 12 wks premature) also have severe milk allergies... they too had dark circles under their eyes for years... they had RSV when they were 4... after that we had to use a nebulizer any time there was a cold... and that was it no other symptoms...... then my one son (he was 5 at the time)  came in the house after riding his bike and couldn't breathe I of course at this point new to use the nebulizer our pediatrician referred us to a Pediatric Pulmonologist turned out he was highly allergic to dust, ragweed trees, minimal to dogs.cats, horses.  whithin 2 weeks his identical twin brother was having prob's at school (they were doing construction) and he kept have asthma attacks in school.  He too was evaluated and he is 90% asthma... while the other twim is mostly allergy related asthma... we've been on maintence for the last 3 years and both only get those circles under their eyes when a cold is coming on.... One child takes singulair and zyrtec every night Sept 1 through Jan 1.  The other (more allergic child) takes singulair and zyrtec sept-jan then zyrtec only til April1 thru Sept.  We also add flovent when a cold starts... Initially they were on flovent for a year then gradually weaned off so that they take as little meds as possible.  We have since learned they have additional food allergies also... Our Pulmonologist was curious to see if their milk allergy had lessened at all since they were now 9 (oriiginally we didn't put them through any other food allergy test, because as the dr said "you already carry epipen, god forbid there is a reaction to ANY food you always have benedryl and peipen with you we'll wait till their older to check) This year we did the skin prick testing for foods...... now highly reactive to Shellfish and peanuts were just as reactive as they are to milk. We are also only mildly reactive  to pecan and lamb   (my boys always told me they were allergic to peanuts and didn't like the way they felt... so we just used cashew butter..turns out they were right) sorry so lengthy hope this helps.... sounds like your daughter has other "allergies".  We are in Northern NJ if you need a name for a Doctor.

Beth Balbirnie