NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carmen Simon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 08:12:49 -0400
My son was prescribed Veetids (Apothecon, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company)
for Strep throat.  After giving him one dose I discovered it had lactose
as an ingredient(this was on the inside label, no where obvious). He did
not react to it but I was not going to continue to give it to him until
he did.  I called our Dr. and got the usual -well is he lactose intollerant
 or allergic?- response.  After explaining that a milk allergic child
should not be exposed to any part of milk we finally got our usual
prescription of amoxicillan which has always used sucrose as a binder(but
I made the pharmicist double check).  Just wanted to give the rest of the
moms a heads up on this antibiotic.  My son is 5yo and it was a liquid by
the way.

Hope your Holidays are Merry!

Carmen