NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kite-a-holic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 06:33:42 -0400
On Mon, 18 May 1998, Randy wrote:
>I am LI. I stopped at the local deli/grocery tonight for eggs and
>grabbed a pack of hotdogs and buns for supper. I nonchalantly read the
>ingrediants AFTER I got home. WHY does a meat processor see the need to
>add nonfat dry milk to hot dogs? AARRGGGGHHHHHH!

I think it's a combination of things -- the belief that people need more
calcium, hence the push to supplement foods with a cheap source, which
the dairy industry actively encourages.

I'd wager that if you read the ingredients on the buns, you'd find nonfat
milk solids added, too.

Almost all processed meat products DO have either nonfat milk solids or
whey added (occasionally I've seen both listed on one product) --
kielbasa is another item you have to check very carefully, in fact almost
all 'deli meats' are 'supplemented'...

Kosher meats, of course, cannot have milk products added.

June  ;-)
*------------------------------------------------------------------------*
           A smile is a curved line that sets things straight.
*------------------------------------------------------------------------*

                                    /\
                                   .\/
                                 .'
                           Q   .'
                           |-+'
                          / \           --ahjt

                        Go fly a kite!  It's fun.
*========================================================================*
                        revcoal AT connix DOT com
 It is UNLAWFUL to send unsolicited commercial email to this email
 address per United States Code Title 47 Sec. 227.  I assess a fee of
 $500.00 US currency for reading and deleting such unsolicited commercial
 email.  Sending such email to this address denotes acceptance of these
 terms.  My posting messages to Usenet neither grants consent to receive
 unsolicited commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial
 email.