NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 10:00:44 EST
Tanya, Italian Dressing often has some form of Romano or Parmesan cheese in
it. I order just oil and vinegar, and then I add a little salt. Not as
exciting, but who needs the excitement of a reaction?

As for waiters and restaurants, you need to be specific. When you ask if
there is no milk, they never think outside the box to include other milk
products. For the lactose intolerant, there seems to be a higher degree of
recognition with those I've contacted. However, with the protein sensitivity
I deal with, they don't get it that yogurt, cream, and cheese are included.
So, I run down the whole list with them, they check, and they generally come
back and tell me there is mayonnaise in it. Real mayonnaise doesn't usually
have milk, but once you say dairy, they think eggs. So then I have to ask if
it is a light mayo or a salad dressing which often has skim milk or dry milk
in it. Allow extra time to order when you go out, I guess, and try not to go
at the busiest times. I've gotten better cooperation that way. Carrie