NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"L. Roop" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 18:48:46 -0500
Hazel & Ray Green wrote:

> Awhile back when my daughter was first diagnosed with milk allergy I
> researched this ingredient. It is also listed as sodium stearoyl 2
> lactylate... <snip>  I
> have learned that it can come from a dairy source way back but if you
> were to look that ingredient is even in your bread.

Which is why we no longer eat store-bought bread.

> It could be a matter
> of how sensitive you are. If you have an anaphylactic reaction around
> the smell of milk then i would research it further. Some sites say that
> lactic acid is milk dirived too. I would check it out further before I
> rule out a bunch of stuff.

I appreciate your interest in opening up more foods for my children to eat, Hazel,
but we've found that any milk product at all is a problem for us. It is not helpful
for a company to claim their product is milk free when it contains ingredients
derived from milk.

My children have not had anaphylactic reactions to milk, but as we have gotten
better at identifying obscure milk-derived ingredients in foods, one son's asthmatic
episodes have gone from monthly, week-long attacks to short-lived difficulties in
breathing, as long as 9 months apart. Each recent episode has been traced back to  a
"slip".

I wish there as a less confusing sstem than een the kosher labeling.  Like Mark, I
don't trust just anyone with the ingredients of my food!

Lis