NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:50:22 EST
boy do the stories i hear on here sound so familiar. including unsupportive
pediatrician.  its amazing that after you discover your child or you might  be
sensitive or allergic to dairy or lactose you look back and can see little
clues.

this is my story:

my daughter , i believe has been sensitized to dairy while i was pregnant
with her. I have always had a diet high in dairy, i have always had nondescript
health problems. but when i was pregnant with my daughter when i would eat
any  dairy product, i would be come violently ill within 15 minutes. I would
throw up  and get very sick.
I still did not want to give up dairy products so i switched to lactaid
milk. same result. i finaly gave up dairy products completely and no only did i
stop being sick.. but while i was pregnant i enjoyed the best health of my
life.  I was significantly overweight while i was pregnant---but by the time i
delivered i had actually lost 5 lbs!  my doctor never told me of the risks  of
drinking dairy if you are african american, asian or latin american  descent.
my daughter was pretty healthy when she was born... but i didnt put two and
two together and neither did my doctor. while i was nursing her i started to
indulge again in milk, ice cream cheese..etc.  with in 2 days of taking her
home from the hospital..she developed what the doctor said was colic and  did
not stop.  ever.  she became jaundiced and mildly anemic. we were  constantly
at the peds office.
he even convince me to stop nursing her partially and put her on  formula.
he also evidently didnt realize the dangers of milk intolerances and
allergies in certain minorities and felt that cow milk was more healthy for  my
daughter than my own.
she only got worse. this went on for 4 years!  rashes, chronic
constipations, unable to sleep, snoring, bed wetting, violent mood swings, ear  infection,
sore throats, colds, crusty noses, night terrors... now that i think  about
it, i am in disbelief at all the pain we went through.  we went to  doctor after
doctor who gave us drug after drug.
finally up late one night with my daughter and an ear infection i was  online
and came across an herbalist who suggested my daughter was allergic to  milk.
  i never heard of such a thing. but i looked it up on the  net.
i immediately took her off of dairy--which was the hardest thing i have  done
and am doing in my entire life. and the result was so absolutely stunning i
could hardly believe it.  with in two days my daughter woke up and it was
like she was not my child. i had to learn who my daughter was all over again.
her eyes were clear and bright like i had never seen in her entire life! she was
 pleasant..and it only got better and better and better.
and with in a week the constipation was gone, the bedwedding gone, the
snoring gone..all of it gone.
my daughter does not have anaphylaxis..but within 15 minutes of eating any
type of dairy the first symptom she has is violent mood swing and it goes down
hill from there.

now that she has started school..it is hard to maintain a dairy free diet
but we are doing our best.  i have quietly read the posts here to know that  i
am not alone in this thing.
tigrlili