NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karin Dietterich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:55:46 -0800
> I am in desperate need of some emotional support!  Tested both boys today on
> their backs for allergies.  My oldest reacts to dairy, eggs, apples,
> oranges, pineapple, cashews, brazil nuts, dyes etc.  He was NEGATIVE for all
> (except possibly shrimp and oranges...).  We saw a pediatric allergist at
> the hospital I work at, who is WONDERFUL.  But I had two residents, two
> nurses and the doctor looking at me with blank looks after the negative test
> as I frantically described his physical and emotional reactions to dairy.
> They listened, but said that my story was not common at all.

Not common?  My understanding was that unless the food allergy was
likely to cause anaphylactic shock, or some other life threatening response,
then the results of a skin test are not conclusive.  That's my experience.
I know from reading this list that food sensitivities/allergies/intolerances
cause a whole gamut of reactions.

I test negative to all foods.  I *know* from physical responses such as
pain that eating dairy is not good for me.  Whether this is an allergy
or an intolerance is hard to say.

Good luck with your ice cream challenge.

Karin
--
Karin Dietterich                [log in to unmask]

The last good thing written in C was Franz Schubert's Ninth Symphony.
                --Christa Ptatchek