NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"L.Shriver" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 16:53:41 -0500
Hello,

I would like to say that I publicly support Rita for cutting down this
tree. Rita your post is great and right to the point. The individuals who
sent you e-mail stating you were wrong, should put themselves in your
shoes. It is not as if you cut down a rainforest or destroyed a tree for
selfish reasons. It was done first out of love and respect for her child
and then because the tree was not safe. I think you are wonderful for
planting new trees.

Rita planted several trees in place of the one she cut down, why does it
matter if it is historical if it was dying. I am sorry, but a tree is a
tree. The reason we need trees and plants is to produce oxygen, not
beautify the landscape. This tree was obviously effecting someone personal
safety and needed to be cut down.

Rita, I back you as well as many others do. I have a daughter with severe
allergies and if a tree in my yard was killing her I would remove it
immediately. You can not expect a child or an adult for that matter to stay
a prisoner in his own home. Rita did not cut down every Walnut Tree in her
town, she cut down one that was dying, with her neighbors consent and with
the ok of the woman in the permit office.

The reason for movements such as Green Peace and other societies for the
preservation of trees were started to stop developers from cutting down
entire forest not for a person cutting down one tree, The other day my
beautiful Weeping Willow, that I have been trying to save for two years,
fell out of the ground when a high wind storm came by and uprooted it. The
tree was not very big but it could have hurt someone if it fell on them. I
should have cut it down a long time ago. I have planted a new tree and life
goes on. That is what this is about.  The world will not be effected by
this one tree. We should worry about other things that can protect the
environment, such as, the toxic waste being dumped into our streams and
rivers, the chemicals in our foods, and other such serious issues. All the
trees in the world can not save us from toxic chemicals that pollute or
rivers. I am not trying to start a new debate or tell you how to live but
lets give Rita support for her honesty, her love for her son and commitment
to help him. Lets also remember, when she took one tree, she gave back
several new ones.

Rita you and your son are in my prayers, I wish you well and I hope no one
else trashes you with private emails. As it is quoted in the Bible, Jesus
once said to an angry mob, "Let he who is without sin cast the first
stone."

Good Luck And  God Bless,

Lucy Shriver

P.S.
Black walnut roots release a toxin called Juglose that prevents many plants
from growing. Plants that are susceptible to the toxicity and usually die
slowly (by gradually wilting) include:

          Tomato
          Alfalfa
          Pear