NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 08:41:49 PST
"Food and Food Additive Intolerance in Childhood," by T J David,
Blackwell Scientic Publications also states on page 112, "All reports of
inotlerance concern soya protein.  It is unknown whether soya lecithin,
soya margarine or soya oil contain sufficient protein to provoke adverse
reactions in those with soya protein intolerance.  Only minute traces of
protein were found in soya oil in one study (Tattrie & Yaguchi 1973). In
one small clincial study, reaction when soya oil was consumed (Bush RK,
Talyor SL, Mordlee JA, and Busse WW (1985)).  However in another study,
some samples of soya oil, lecithin and margarine were found to contain
soya protein ((Poras O, Carlsson B, Fallstrom SP, Hanson LA (1985).  The
implication is that these items must be excluded from the diet if soya
protein needs to be completely avoided."

Avoidance of soya can be difficult, according to T J David, because of
the "widespread use of soya protein in flour . . . .  There are a number
of traps, such as the widespread use of soya protein in flour, and
therefore in most breads.  The use of soya in this way is not obvious to
the consumer . . . .  It is also becaue soya is not likely to be
declared on a list of ingredients of a number of toher undeclared
ingredients (e.g. iron salts, chalk, thiamine, nicotinic acid, and a
range of bleaching and improving agents)."

I suppose that is why I am down to just eating fresh fruit and
vegetables and fresh meats.  I use sea salt and ground pepper for
spices.  If there isn't soy, there is milk, corn, wheat, oats, or barley
in just about everything that is processed.

So, Max, I agree with T J David, that all soy for me must be avoided
because I have had diarrhea from soy bean oil and from soy lethicin.  I
am very sensitive to minute amounts of this stuff.

Take Care. Abigail