NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:14:06 +0100
>Why not regular coconut oil? I get 16 oz jars in Indian grocers. Any Indian
>communities in your part of Oz?

I use cooking oil - any low flavour one, usually rape seed (canola) though
of course that can contain undeclared GMO in the US, it isn't in Europe (not
permitted) and I suspect the same is the case for Oz.  Sunflower works OK as
well.  Obviously olive oil in a sweet cookie or cake won't work, but its
great in bread :-)

The only thing I found when using cooking oils is that I sometimes ended up
with cookies 30cm square.  I fixed this by reducing the oil content by
10-25%.  I'm assuming that this is because there are no milk solids, etc as
there are in butter.  I have a bigger problem with NZ recipes, which assume
butter, than with UK recipes, which assume margerine.

Use caster sugar if you can as well, since you can't cream a liquid oil with
the sugar  -  add oil, sugar and eggs together and beat well instead.

HTH

Megan