NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Clif Flynt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:46:12 -0500
> What is in Kentucky Fried Chicken that has milk?

This is not a definitive answer (I haven't checked with KFC), but
in general...

Breaded fried foods are frequently dipped in milk before being dipped
in the coating - the milk helps the coating stick to the
chicken/fish/chicken-fried-steak, etc.

A moist breading dough may be made with milk.

Some commercial fried foods (many 'curly fries') are dusted with
lactose as part of the breading because it browns nicely and looks
good.

Other folks on the list may know other ways for milk to sneak into
a fried meal, but these are some I've run into.

FWIW, the non-breaded broasted or backed stuff is usually safer.

Clif

                            Clif Flynt
    Tcl/Tk for Real Programmers - Academic Press Professional
     http://www cflynt com                 clif@cflynt com
  In theory there is no difference between theory and practice
                         In practice, there is