NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:58:59 EST
From:    Becky Leppard <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Roll Call

<Hi Susana,>

<What are your symptoms.  I just went to see a gastroenterologist to give>
<me a test for celiac desease.>

Hi Becky,  I am replying to you through the list because it might help other
members.
In a previous roll call I only listed a few of my symptoms- not wanting to be
lengthy.  I will try to be brief again... Some parts are graphic and not
pleasant- a forewarning to sensitive folks...
  I have had dry cracked skin all my life.  I was always missing school for
tonsillitis and I have always had hayfever and allergies to cats.  My big
problems have only surfaced since having my first child 11 years ago when I
had to have an emergency C- section.  I was preeclamptic-eclamptic and I had
HELLP syndrome.
Seven months after having my daughter I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's
Thyroiditis.  That is a form of thyroid disease where your immune system
mistakes the thyroid for a forgeign substance and attacks it.  Supposedly my
unborn child triggered the response.
About five years ago I was diagnosed with severe asthma.  I can't breathe at
night if I don't take my medication every day.
Three years ago I had a bizarre and painful bout of pancreatitis.
Two years ago my digestive system stopped digesting properly.  I apologize
for the following details:  I have bouts of steatorhea, which is a large
foul-smelling foamy stool.  I also have uncontrollable bm's, bloating,
abdominal cramping, gas, and constipation for four to five days culminating
with a loose floating stool.  I have parasthesis of the shins(lose sensation
in my skin on my shins), back aches, cold clammy hands and feet, yet give off
an enormous amount of heat from my mid-section, so much that my husband can't
sleep near me in the summer and the whole family wants to be near me in the
winter :)  And finally, I am exhibiting signs of rheumatoid arthritis.
I wrote some of this in my original roll call and received e-mail from two
wonderful people with the same suggestion.  One said the rheumatoid arthritis
could be related to celiac, the other said my thyroid trouble could stem from
celiac.
I visited the web sites they recommended and knew I found my problem.  Milk
is most probably my problem as well, since celiac disease removes the binding
site for lactase, ergo lactose intollerance.  Even though I'd never heard of
celiac disease, I am learning it is very common but very undiagnosed.  I have
my biopsy in two weeks and will then be on the road to recovery.  I hope this
helps someone and I hope your visit to the Gastro went well.  Susan.