NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. Steiner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 14:35:19 -0800
Hi Don,

> > Stearoyl-2-lactylate is ALSO made from Lactic Acid and Fatty Acids.
Lactic
> > Acid is sometimes made from whey.

> I'm even more curious how one makes lactic acid without milk?

From the same source, Lactic Acid is "produced commercially by fermentation
of whey, cornstarch, potatoes, and molasses"
It is the same stuff that causes muscle pain the day after you exercise.
"present in blood and muscle tissue as a product of the metabolism of
glucose and glycogen"  I don't think I ever wanted to actually eat that
stuff!!
Doubt that you wanted to know so much about it :-)

> >  Unless we only eat fresh foods that we prepare
> > from scratch ourselves.  Which, to tell you the truth,  is what I'm
doing
> > more and more these days.
>
> I'm a bread fanatic...grew up on the prairies where they grow the grain!
I grew up in a city in Chile, and the bread there was wonderful.  We went
to the countryside for vacations in the summer and then we had even BETTER
bread, if that is possible :-)
> I have a breadmaker and use it 4 or 5 times a week.
I returned the breadmaker I had bought, but intend to buy another one soon.
 The days I had the machine at home, we enjoyed some wonderful stuff almost
every morning.
Other times I buy
> french or italian bread.
I live in an area where we have a high Italian population, and they love
bread as much as I do.  There are a few very small, local bakeries that
specialize in what we call 'French bread', even though they are Italian.
It is wonderful and addictive!  And I know from the owners the ingredients,
and have no problems with it.
I diligently check the labels but in one case,
> a particular bread causes a problem even though it's french bread, and
> the ingredients are listed.
I think some of the commercially made French bread uses sourdough starter
that has milk added.  They might not list it, but your bod knows!
Perhaps it's one of those wierd names like
> L-system (not exact but close). I am now an eater of basic foods. I
> almost became despondent when I found that my favourite salami had milk
> products in it.
It is very hard to find salami without milk, as unbelievable as it sounds.
I used to eat it and had no idea of what was making me sick.  The same with
some other 'processed' meats.  The only 'safe' salami is the kosher. But
they don't make the hard salami.  You have to hung a fresh one, and then
take your risks I guess.  I'm always afraid it might spoil.  Buy hung in
the refrigerator if you have space should be safe enough.  I know some
Jewish deli's do that.

Milk has to be one of the most ubiquitous foods. Drat!

Agree,

> Thanks for the feedback.

Same here,

> |\