NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katie Addison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 15:19:37 -0700
Nancy Weir wrote:

> You were wondering if you could eat/drink butter or cream, dispite a
> milk protein allergy:
>
> 1 cup of milk has 9 g protein
> 1 cup of cream has 7 g protein
> 1 cup of butter has 2 g protein
>
> Information is from "Nutrient values of some common foods" by Health
> and Welfare Canada.
>
> I have a milk protein allergy and react to cream and butter.  I find if
> I stay away from butter I don't miss it so much and margarine starts to
> taste o.k.  I don't like coffee without cream, so it has actually helped
> me give up coffee.

We use Blue Bonnet margarine which we can find in our regular grocery
store, we all like, and which has no milk products listed (I do not have
to worry about trace amounts left on machinery, so hesitate to ever make
recommendations without that caveat).  All the stick, tub, and reduced
fat tub variations are milk free from my reading of the labels.

Have you tried using soy milk instead of cream in your coffee?  The
"Whole Foods" store near us will make lattes with soymilk.  They use
separate steaming pitchers which are cleaned between uses as are the
steam spigots, but I see the potential for trace amounts of milk left.

Cheers, Katie ([log in to unmask])