NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:45:14 -0500
>Hi Beth & Dawn;
>I don't mean to sound cruel, so please don't take it that way.  I carry =
>an Epi-Pen Jr but have explicit instructions not to use it on my son =
>except in a life and death situation.

Our son's pediatrician tells us it is much more dangerous to *not* give him
the Epipen when he needs it than it is to give it to him when he doesn't.
That doesn't mean that we give it to him whenever he has a reaction, but we
know we can if we're concerned that the reaction is coming up too fast for
antihistamines to take effect.

>Obviously if you are alone you =
>have no choice but to use it on yourself when you feel the need.  It is =
>my understanding, from my son's Pediatric Allergist that an Epi-Pen is =
>not made to stop an allergic reaction, it is used as an adrenaline to =
>keep your heart beating which the anaphylactic shock  stopped or may be =
>stopping.

This just isn't true. It does stop a reaction, and the earlier the better.
You need to talk again to the allergist and to other doctors about this.

> I have also had complete instructions not to use it on my son =
>until he is at the unconscious stage. =20
>Has anyone else had anyone tell them this?

No - ask other doctors. It may be advice from a doctor who's seen Epipens
overused, or may be an exageration to keep people from overusing it.