NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 08:49:58 -0600
>Daniel A. Twogood, D.C. wrote:
>... I don't know if hydrolyzed casein will cause a reaction in a casein
>sensitive person...

There is a lot of information available even on the internet about this
topic (easily found by typing hydrolyzed casein, casein, peptide, and other
key-words into nearly any search engine).  I have been following this theory
and the research about it for many years now (out of personal interest, not
professional).  Scientists are attempting hydrolysis of casein to alter the
structure of casein enough to prevent allergic reactions in those
individuals sensitive to it.  From a marketing point-of-view, there are a
number of problems:  notably taste (probably why they are adding MSG in the
process)--the average consumer did not prefer the flavor of the casein
hydrolysate products.  In addition any one severely allergic (anaphylasxis)
can NOT consume hydrolysate casein without reacting.  Don't be fooled!  This
process is not safe for the severely allergic! From a general health
point-of-view if the hydrolysis process only decreases (to a more-tolerable
level of symptoms in some people) and does not completely remove the
allergic response, why would anyone want to consume an altered form of casein?

Rumor had it that scientists at the Southeast Dairy Foods Research Center
<http://www2.ncsu.edu/ncsu/cals/food_science/sdfrc/sdfrc.html> in North
Carolina are currently researching this topic.  This past week I contacted
the research center and the rumor was confirmed.  The Dr. J.C. Allen has
recently finished studies into the allergic response to casein and methods
to consume it safely in the allergic individual.  The reply I received from
the research center stated that the result of this scientific study is
currently in publication and that a message will be forwarded to me when the
reference becomes available.

For those of you encouraged by the news that scientists are conduction this
type of research, which gives the promise that you or your child may be able
to one day eat cheese again, please consider this question:  why is this
research being conducted by a research center funded by the national dairy
industry?  Why isn't it being conducted by a center funded by a federal
grant or by a company connected with the health care industry? This is a
free world, where people are allowed to come to their own conclusions to
these questions, but I for one am thinking profit is the motivation behind
the research--not our (or our children's) health.