NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Seph A. Reese" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 00:56:51 -0800
At 11:21 PM 3/20/97 -0500, you wrote:
>"Seph A. Reese" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>I like, prefer the Rice Dream to soy milk also.
>>>Anyways, I'm gluten intolerant also
>
>If you are gluten intolerant you should be aware that Rice Dream has a very
>small amount of gluten in it. They use barley enzymes to break down the
>rice starch to sugar. It cannot be fully washed out.

              Is this done to sweeten it or to make it more digestible?

>>Eileen Yoder, Ph.D, President of the Inter'l Food Allergy Association in
>>Oak park, Illinois heard about it and after 6 mos of study concluded "For
>>most wheat-sensitive people, Kamut can be an excellent substitute for common
>>wheat."
>
>Marketing bullshit. Kamut has gluten. There is absolutely no question about
>this. It's like asking the cigarette companies if cigarettes cause any
>health problems.

You're probably right, it doesn't even say the word Gluten on the very slick-
looking pamphlet. Doesn't make sense though cuz the allergic would know
if they were allergic, but then, the tobacco-peaple did put filters on
cigarettes,
eventually. Didn't stop me from choking on them the first time I tried one. :)

I actually only suspect I'm gluten-intolerant. Is there a FAQ for this?

Seph